For years, I lived my life unconsciously. From a distance I looked successful, but I moved from one task to the next – busy, stressed, unfulfilled, and not sure why I was semi-miserable. On the outside everything looked great. On the inside – not so much.
Originally a small town girl from east Texas, I worked my way up through the corporate ranks, earned an MBA from a top European school, and succeeded in a well-paid job in risk management in London. I had arrived…..kind of.
But no matter what I did I couldn’t shake a general feeling of emptiness.
In 2009, I moved back to the United States and discovered yoga by accident. I was trying to impress a new boyfriend at the time. The boyfriend disappeared, but yoga didn’t. After a few months of doing yoga, I knew something was different. I was different. I wasn’t drinking and eating too much. No longer was I quite literally pulling my hair out from stress. I lost weight and got fit. This yoga/mindfulness thing was definitely working for me!
Feeling uninspired in my job I decided to take a sabbatical so I could become a yoga teacher and travel to Africa. When I returned to work, I was fueled with a renewed energy to follow my passion for personal development and help my employer BP recover from the Deepwater Horizon incident. So I made an abrupt change in my career and went from risk management to leadership development. In my new role, I created and taught programs like Courageous Conversations, aimed at creating a corporate culture that welcomed honest discussion.
I made positive changes and I saw dividends in areas outside of my career, too! The more energetically I embraced my passion for yoga and mindfulness, the more I started to live a life that was truer to myself, and the more everything changed. In 2012, after years of failed relationships, another piece of my puzzle fell into place. I met the man of my dreams. Luckily I was the woman of his dreams, and we now live in beautiful Austin, Texas.
Life, Career and Executive Coach in Austin
As you can tell, I love my work! And I would love to work with YOU.
Shelley Pernot’s Style
I will create a safe space for you to explore what’s holding you back. I will challenge you ever so lovingly but firmly to reach your potential, and I will enthusiastically champion your successes, of which there will be many. And I promise there will also be plenty of joy and laughter. Just because we’re working hard, doesn’t mean we can’t have fun, right?
I encourage you to check out the testimonials from some of my clients. See for yourself what they have to say about the value of working with me.
And in case you’re wondering about credentials – because some people do and some people don’t:
- I hold a number of degrees in accountancy and business from the University of Texas at Austin and the Rotterdam School of Management in the Netherlands.
- I’m an International Coaching Federation (ICF) certified coach, and I graduated from the esteemed Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching (iPEC) program.
- I have served on the Austin, Texas Board of the International Coaching Federation (ICF).
- I’m a certified yoga instructor and incorporate mindfulness practices into my coaching practice.
- I have a sister company, True North Development, also based in Austin, Texas, where I teach mindfulness and communication courses for busy professionals.
- I’ve just completed my first book, Running on Empty: An Irreverent Guide to Filling Up with Mindfulness, and I’ve begun work on my second book (as yet untitled) about the cultivation of authenticity in the corporate workplace.
And finally, in 2016 I ticked a major bucket list goal off my list by completing the High Passes of Everest trek.
What’s your dream?
Let me help you discover it!